The New People’s Army (NPA) on Saturday announced a “heightened armed resistance” against the government’s all-out war declaration.

“No longer restricted by the active defense policy, the NPA, from hereon, must frustrate the all out war of suppression of the AFP (Armed Forces of the Philippines) by launching launch tactical offensives against any legitimate military target,” NPA spokesman Jorge “Ka Oris” Madlos said in a statement posted on the communist group’s website.

Madlos said that among the target of the NPA, the armed wing of the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP), are active members of the AFP, Philippine national Police, AFP militiamen, police and detachments and camps.

“Starting today, the Unilateral Declaration of Interim Ceasefire is now completely terminated. All NPA commands and territorial units…” the NPA spokesman said.

Last week, Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana said the AFP is launching an all-out war against the NPA following President Rodrigo Duterte’s suspension of peace talks with the rebel group.

Before suspending the peace talks, Duterte declared that he is lifting the government’s unilateral ceasefire declaration.

The announcement was made after the CPP-NPA lifted its own ceasefire declaration.

Delfin had also announced that despite Duterte’s declaration, he is still open to talks with the communist rebels.

In his statement, Madlos also reiterated that the NPA is still willing to talk with the government.

“The NPA remains open to peace talks while fighting rages in the countryside,” he said.

Source: GMA News